Thursday, February 18, 2010

Shedding the Extra Layering

This summer I am going to Mexico with Heath, his parents and my parents.  But over the last few months I have managed to gain some extra weight from eating unhealthily.  So after Christmas  break Heath and I decided to buy a treadmill.  Well the treadmill somehow got lost in transit and for about a month I was calling UPS Freight over and over to see if it had showed up.  Eventually I called Costco (who we had ordered it through) and they said they would ship a new one.  While the order was processing, however, Heath and I noticed that there is a Anytime Fitness (gym) really close to my house.  We canceled the order, got a refund and got a membership to the gym.  So for a couple weeks now we have been working out regularly and it makes me feel really healthy.  Sadly, I have yet to feel like I've been loosing any weight.  I'm sure this isn't true, but it's so hard not to see immediate results, especially in our culture of instant gratification.
I realized that along with working out I really should be working on watching what I consume.  I have gotten in such a bad habit of eating junk food and eating out all the time.  With a busy schedule and working all the time it is really easy to eat what is convenient.  But what is convenient is generally unhealthy.  Also, with being short on money I don't buy as many groceries which means I don't have as many healthy options even when I'm home.  Therefore my new goal is to try and eat healthier.  I was tempted to say no to sugar all together, but I didn't want to be so severe.  Instead, I am  attempting to just eat less sugar.  Like maybe only one item with sugar a day (if any at all).  That way I am not depriving myself of anything somewhat sweet, but instead limiting my intake.  Also when I eat out I will be trying to eat healthier foods.  Heath and I have been on a Subway kick and it is so nice that you can get a foot long sandwich for only 5 dollars. 
This will all start tomorrow, as today I am pretty sure I didn't follow my rules since I had a piece of chocolate and a yummy Jamba Juice (thanks Heath!) and a Slim-fast this morning.  So maybe I will randomly update on here what I've been eating, maybe it will help keep me accountable =]
So hopefully by Mexico I will have a body that I am comfortable enough in that I won't worry about being in a currently dreaded swimsuit!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you! Andy and I have been working out lately and I love the way I feel, but I haven't seen much in the way of results yet and I have to admit that I'm pretty impatient too! I can't wait to see the effects of all this effort. :)

    ReplyDelete