Monday, May 31, 2010

Adventure for a New Hobby

I've decided I need a new hobby.  And as I am getting married soon I wanted to choose something that I would be able to do in my spare time at home.  As I look towards marriage and being a wife there are certain traditions I don't want to die off as my generation becomes more and more technologically advanced, more about instant gratification, and less about doing things yourself.  So here are a few things I am going to learn how to do, hopefully before I become a wife (so I have until September!).  Or at least within the first year or so.

1. Learn how to can fruit, make applesauce, etc
2. Learn how to make homemade bread
3. Learn how to quilt
4. Learn how to make my own pie crust and pie filling (the filling I suppose goes under the canning category)
5. This will probably come with quilting but I want to learn how to sow minor things like tears in pants or buttons that have fallen off, etc.

I think 5 is enough for now, though I am sure there will be more things I can think of later on.

So to start off my adventure I am spending next Saturday afternoon/evening with my lovely sister-in-law who quilts and she is going to help get me started!  I'll post about it later.  My current challenge is trying to find an idea for a quilt to make.  I think our future bedroom colors are going to be brown tones, so maybe something for that room.  Or maybe just start with something fun.  Maybe a wedding quilt since our colors are purple and gold (though gold might be hard, maybe make it yellow for the quilt).  Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for our quilting adventure! I'd suggest starting with something small since it will be easy to complete in a short period of time and will give you that sense of accomplishment. Maybe a baby quilt?

    However, it would be so much fun to make a full size quilt for your new home with Heath! I like the idea of brown tones since we'll be able to find lots of beautiful brown fabrics. Maybe brown and purple?? Gold will be a hard color to find, but we might be able to find a few fabrics to tie in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of brown and purple :) I suppose I could do a smaller blanket, but I don't want to make something I wouldn't use.

    ReplyDelete